Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Just a Thought... A Great Debate

Today we had a debate during our Modern Culture Research class. We had two themes. First for/against a Guggenheim museum in Helsinki and then hmm... The assignment was a bit ambiguous. All that was given was the title: "Enforced Use of a Hijab".

In both debates of course we were divided to two groups: for and against. It was all random so we were not necessarily on our "own" sides. In the hijab debate luck called me to be for it.

So for all who do not know what a hijab is: Hijab is a piece of clothing worn by muslim women to cover their hair and faces. In the Noble Qur'an 33:59 Allah (the God of Islam) says: "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused." Now, there exists a wide variety of applications of this particular verse. They range from free not to use a hijab to violent enforcing of the given commandment. It varies from region to region.

I will not go deeper into this in this entry, nor do I give my personal thoughts of it. My intentions were to express a thought that came to me during the debriefing of the hijab-debate.

There is much religious debate and discussion going on in the media of this day. Many comments and accusations are made. Much aggressive and non-aggressive criticism is raised up. Part of all this is founded on facts, some of it is not.

As the media tornado keeps going on, one cannot help thinking, who keeps it going? This hijab-question is a great example. In some European countries there now exists a law that prohibits the use of hijab for what ever the reason is (I have yet to do research on this matter). The party that I feel keeps the machine going, makes assumptions and comments is the non-believing part of our societies.

I don't know how much benefit for free exercise of faith, and for religion in general, it does when these discussions and forums, these "fights" are fought by those who have a little - if at all - conception of faith, conviction or a Deity.

A bit unfair? I think so. What do you think?

Now I must admit that this feeling and thought is not founded on research. It is a subjective thought, feeling, I got. I'd be happy if someone would correct me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment